Between traveling to new places and teaching, I’ve developed a couple “must-haves” at all times.
I remember my first field trip as a teacher. The other teachers asked me if I brought hand sanitizer, facial tissues, the snacks, name tags, and another assortment of things that I didn’t realize I needed. I’ve grown A LOT in that professional department.
So, here are some of the things I never go without:
For everyone’s well-being:
- Hand sanitizer
- A small pack of Kleenex
- Some napkins in case there is no toilet paper
For my professional well-being:
- An assortment of pens and papers in case I have that free moment where I think I will grade, even though I know I won’t do it anyway.
- Paperclips or binder clips (because I’m in love with them)
- A highlighter
Things I forget to take out:
- The small drawings and notes students gift me with or I confiscate.
- Corrected classwork that the students didn’t need back, but was just for informal assessment.
- Random things from Professional Development days.
PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART
For my personal well-being:
- A dollar or two in case I need some caffeine.